Dean’s Faculty Appreciation Dinner
Over 170 School of Medicine faculty were honored for their role in medical education, research, patient care, and administration on May 2nd. Awards included:
Recognition of Outstanding Leadership
Starting the program, Dr. Steven Berk, Executive Vice President, Provost and Dean of the School of Medicine was presented with a plaque from the School of Medicine faculty for his outstanding leadership and development of the SOM over the last 13 years.
Unsung Hero Awards
These awards are nominated by the Chair of the Department. Recipients are considered 'go to' persons that can always be relied on. The recipients are:
- Elizabeth Rivas, M.D. – Department of Anesthesiology
- Gail Cornwall, Ph.D. – Department of Cell Biology & Biochemistry
- Hongjun (Henry) Liang, Ph.D. – Department of Cell Physiology & Molecular Biophysics
- Randall Sheets, M.D. – Department of Family & Community Medicine
- Abdul Hamood, Ph.D. – Department of Immunology & Molecular Microbiology
- Neha Mittal, M.D. – Department of Internal Medicine
- Gurvinder Kaur, Ph.D. – Department of Medical Education
- Henrik Wilms, M.D., Ph.D. – Department of Neurology
- Charles Thompson, M.D. – Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Lingkun Kong, M.D., Ph.D. – Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
- Brendan MacKay, M.D. – Department of Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation
- Winslo Idicula, M.D. – Department of Otolaryngology
- Kirsten Robinson, M.D. – Department of Pediatrics
- Madu Narasimhan, Ph.D. – Department of Pharmacology & Neuroscience
- Sarah Wakefield, M.D. – Department of Psychiatry
- Edwin Onkendi, M.D. – Department of Surgery
- Pranav Sharma, M.D. – Department of Urology
Dean’s Faculty Awards
99 Club – These recipients are clinical faculty who received a 99 percentile rank with at least 30 patient responses on the Press-Ganey Ratings for the 2018 year. The recipients are:
- Mirla Avila, M.D. – Department of Neurology
- Dale Little, M.D. – Department of Internal Medicine
- Alita Loveless, M.D. – Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Appreciation Award – Kamlesh Varma, M.D.
Distinguished Courage Award – Randy Atkins, M.D. – Department of Dermatology
Lifetime Achievement Award
The two recipients below have made significant contributions to the School of Medicine spanning their entire careers.
- James Hutson, Ph.D. – Department of Medical Education – 43 years of service
- Kimberli Peck, M.D. – Department of Family & Community Medicine– 37 years of service
Dean’s Teaching Awards
Recipients have several years of sustained excellence in teaching as demonstrated in student and peer evaluations, evidence of strong commitment to the educational process, innovation and/or originality in teaching. The recipients are:
Dean’s Basic Science Teaching Award – MS I
- Brandt Schneider, Ph.D. – Department of Medical Education
Dean’s Basic Science Teaching Award – MS II
- Cassandra Kruczek, Ph.D. – Department of Medical Education
Dean’s Clinical Teaching Award – 3 faculty were recognized for this award
- Elisabeth Conser, M.D. – Department of Pediatrics
- Lukman Tijani, M.D. – Department of Internal Medicine
- Brad Snodgrass, M.D. – Department of Internal Medicine – Covenant Branch Campus
Dean’s Educational Innovation Award
- Vadivel Ganapathy, Ph.D. – Department of Cell Biology & Biochemistry
This award recognizes a faculty member who has developed and introduced a new program or process that has contributed significantly to helping the Medical School meet its educational mission.
Dean’s Douglas M. Stocco Scholarship/Research Award
- Susan Bergeson, Ph.D. – Department of Pharmacology & Neuroscience
This award recognizes a faculty member for their accomplishments in research/scholarship demonstrated by original, high-impact publications, external funding, national/international peer recognition, and research awards.
Dean’s Distinguished Faculty Service Award – 3 faculty were recognized for this award
- Alan Peiris, M.D., Ph.D. – Department of Internal Medicine
- Cloyce Stetson, M.D. – Department of Dermatology
- Richard Winn, M.D. – Department of Internal Medicine
This award recognizes a faculty member for their outstanding service to the institution and the community that exceeds performance of normal responsibilities and has greatly contributed to the development and progress of the School of Medicine.
- Outstanding Achievement in Teaching – Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
This award is based upon medical student feedback received by the Dean during the past year.
- Outstanding Achievement in Research – Department of Pediatrics
This award is based upon grant dollars received by the Department during the past year.
- Outstanding Achievement in Patient Satisfaction – Department of Neurology
This award is based upon Press-Ganey ratings received by the department during the past year.
The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences hosted its 34th Annual Student Research Week March 8-11.
The National Cancer Institute awarded a five-year, $1.9 million grant to C. Patrick Reynolds, M.D., Ph.D., director for the School of Medicine Cancer Center at TTUHSC.
The school, which is the sixth at the university, aims to train future health care leaders in population and public health.
The TTUHSC Jerry H. Hodge School of Pharmacy celebrated the Class of 2022 May 21 with its annual commencement ceremony.