Breast Care for the Cure

The grant money will allow the UBCC the bridge the gaps between breast cancer screening, treatment and support services for the El Paso community.

The grant money will allow the UBCC the bridge the gaps between breast cancer screening, treatment and support services for the El Paso community.

The El Paso Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure has awarded a $138,652 grant to the University Breast Care Center (UBCC) for oncology and support services and primary surgery for breast cancer patients.

Diagnosing the Disease

Last year, the UBCC had 4,719 patient visits. Approximately 890 of those visits were new patients. Last year, 125 new cases of breast cancer were diagnosed. Therefore, approximately one out of every 10 new patients with a breast complaint is diagnosed with cancer.

“All of us associated with the University Breast Care Center are very appreciative of the continuing and generous support from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure El Paso Affiliate,” UBCC Assistant Director Yolie Torres said. “The grant money will help us continue our care to medically indigent El Paso women.”

Overcoming Barriers

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the El Paso affiliate is one of 122 affiliates dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.

“To meet needs we have discovered right here in our community, this year’s grantees specifically address the gaps in screening, treatment and support services for underserved women and men without the financial means to pay for these services throughout El Paso,” said Stephanie Flora, executive director of the affiliate. “We are confident that through the University Breast Care Center, Hispanic women in our community will have low-cost access to the care they need.”

For 20 years, the El Paso affiliate has been dedicated to the Komen mission, supporting and sponsoring breast cancer education and awareness programs throughout El Paso County. Since its inception, the El Paso affiliate has produced more than $3.6 million to provide underserved men and women with breast cancer education, screening and treatment resources. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the affiliate stay in El Paso County, with the remaining 25 percent used to fund national research.

Related

Survivor Vows to Never Stop Fighting

PAP Smears: What, Why and When

Board Meets to Discuss Women’s Health Care

Related Stories

How Does Your Garden Grow?

As spring approaches, some people’s thoughts turn to gardening. Whether it’s a flower garden they desire or a vegetable garden want to have, they begin planning what they’ll plant and what they need to do to ensure a successful garden.

Adopt a Growth Mindset for a Better Life

A “growth mindset” accepts that our intelligence and talents can develop over time, and a person with that mindset understands that intelligence and talents can improve through effort and learning.

Drug Use, Family History Can Lead to Heart Disease in Younger Adults

Abstaining from drug abuse and an early diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol) can help prevent heart disease.

Recent Stories

Education

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Names New School of Medicine Dean and Executive Vice President for Clinical Affairs

John C. DeToledo, M.D., has been named the TTUHSC School of Medicine dean and executive vice president for clinical affairs.

Education

Finding Purpose and Perspective in West Texas

Edgar Garza, second year student in the Master of Athletic Training program, spoke about his journey to TTUHSC and his hopes to shape the future of athletic training.

Research

Almodóvar Receives NIH Grant to Study Pulmonary Hypertension in HIV Patients

The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the NIH recently awarded Sharilyn Almodóvar, Ph.D., a four-year, $2.67 million grant to study how the HIV virus damages the normal interactions between different cell types in the lung arteries that lead to the condition.