Monday, May 7, 2012
School of Medicine Faculty to be Honored
Written by Suzanna Cisneros
More than 170 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) School of Medicine faculty will be honored for their roles in medical education, research, patient care and administration at 6:30 p.m. May 8 at the Frazier Alumni Pavilion, Drive of Champions and Boston Ave.
“School of Medicine faculty are highly respected leaders in their fields,” Steven L. Berk, M.D., TTUHSC executive vice president and provost and School of Medicine dean said. “We honor their dedication and professionalism to our students and school.”
Awards will include:
Departmental Special Recognition Awards: the chair of the department nominates these awards. Recipients are considered ‘go to,’ reliable persons. The recipients are:
- Robert Johnston, M.D., Department of Anesthesiology
- Clinton MacDonald, Ph.D., Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry
- R. Bryan Sutton, Ph.D., Department of Cell Physiology and Molecular Biophysics
- David Edwards, M.D., Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Sorot Phisitkul, M.D., Department of Internal Medicine
- Abdul Hamood, Ph.D., Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Jongyeol Kim, M.D., Department of Neurology
- Roger Yandell, M.D., Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Mark Morgan, M.D., Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
- Irfan Warraich, M.D., Department of Pathology
- Paul Rogers, M.D., Department of Pediatrics
- Elizabeth Davidson, M.D., Department of Psychiatry
- Sharmila Dissanaike, M.D., Department of Surgery
- Cynthia Smith, M.D., Department of Urology
Dean’s Faculty Awards include:
Dean’s Teaching Awards
Recipients have several years of sustained excellence in teaching as demonstrated in student and peer evaluations, evidence of strong commitment to the educational process, innovation and/or originality in teaching. The recipients are:
- Dean’s Basic Science Teaching Award – first year medical school – Daniel Webster, Ph.D., Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry
- Dean’s Basic Science Teaching Award – second year medical school – Suzanne Graham, M.D., Department of Pathology
- Dean’s Clinical Teaching Award – Robert Scott, M.D., Department of Pediatrics
Dean’s Educational Innovation Award – Patti Patterson, M.D., MPH, Department of Pediatrics
This award recognizes a faculty member who has developed and introduced a new program or process that has contributed significantly to helping the School of Medicine meet its educational mission.
Dean’s Scholarship/Research Award – Douglas Stocco, Ph.D., Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry
This award recognizes a faculty member for their accomplishments in research/scholarship demonstrated by original, high-impact publications, external funding, national/international peer recognition and research awards.
Dean’s Special Recognition for Innovation in Teaching Award – Candy Arentz, M.D., Department of Surgery and Naghma Farooqi, M.D., Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, will be recognized for the establishment of a woman’s free clinic.
Dean’s Distinguished Service Award – Leigh Ann Jenkins, M.D., Department of Internal Medicine and Richard Lampe, M.D., Department of Pediatrics.
This award recognizes a faculty member for their outstanding service to the institution and the community that exceeds performance of normal responsibilities and has greatly contributed to the development and progress of the School of Medicine.
Outstanding Achievement in Teaching – Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
This award is based upon medical student feedback received by the dean during the past year.
Outstanding Achievement in Research – Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry
This award is based upon grant dollars received by the department during the past year.
Outstanding Achievement in Patient Satisfaction – Department of Dermatology
This award is based upon Press-Ganey ratings received by the department during the past year.
For more breaking news and experts, follow @ttuhscnews on Twitter.
Story produced by the Office of Communications and Marketing, (806) 743-2143.