Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) President Tedd L. Mitchell, M.D., and Austin College Board of Trustees Chair David Corrigan signed the AC/Tech Connect partnership on July 26, sealing an arrangement between the two institutions that will further the educational opportunities of graduates from Austin College.
The agreement guarantees qualified applicants an interview to attend TTUHSC into competitive professional health sciences programs at TTUHSC. As part of the criteria, students must complete their first two years at Austin College.
“These students are among the best and brightest,” Mitchell said. “There is no doubt they receive an exemplary education at Austin College and we are honored to expand their students’ prospects in health care. By streamlining the admissions process for these amazing students, we make it easier for them to begin their career in the health profession of their choice.”
Students applying from Austin College have a wide breadth of programs they can choose
from, with degrees from the School of Health Professions, the Graduate School of Biomedical
Sciences, School of Medicine, School of Pharmacy and School of Nursing.
The program offers admission interviews to the following programs:
• Second Degree in Bachelor of Science in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
• Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology
• Doctor of Audiology
• Master of Athletic Training
• Master of Occupational Therapy
• Doctor of Physical Therapy
• Master of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling
• Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
• Master of Science in Addiction Counseling
• Second Degree in Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science
• Certification in Clinical Laboratory Science
• Master of Science in Molecular Pathology
• Master of Physician Assistant Studies
• Master of Science in Healthcare Administration
• Master of Public Health
• Second Degree in Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing
• Doctor of Pharmacy
• School of Medicine
The partnership adds to an existing agreement between Austin College and the TTUHSC School of Medicine, the Austin College-Texas Tech School of Medicine Early Decision Program, which allows students meeting certain criteria to apply to the School of Medicine the summer after the completion of their sophomore year, allowing students accepted into the program to waive the Medical College Admissions Test.
Ganesh Maniam, a recent graduate and former class president of Austin College, was accepted into TTUHSC School of Medicine through the Early Decision Program.
“The transition to TTUHSC was really smooth,” Maniam said. “Austin College has a rigorous pre-med program, which prepared me to do well in my interview. TTUHSC was my top choice, everything was a perfect fit. TTUHSC has smaller class sizes like Austin College and there is also this West Texas mentality. Everyone here is so kind. Everyone is so helpful in class. I recommend Austin College students apply to TTUHSC through this program.”